Monday, June 13, 2011

Chapter 4: "Today Matters" by John C. Maxwell

"Time Well Spent"

Photography Graphics, Tumblr PhotographySeveral times in my lifetime I have said this saying, "I need to cut back on certain spending habits to save more discretionary income to reach my goals." In other words I always looked at "Prioritizing" my money to reach certain goals.

Well after reading this chapter, it is important to use that same effective idea towards time. "Given the choice, would you rather save time or money? Most people focus on dollars. But how you spend your time is much more important than how you spend your money. Money mistakes can often be corrected, but when you lose time, it's gone forever."

I find that to be very true. For example: there has been multiple times where I neared a promotion, but I let unimportant or less important things inflict my day(s), and I have allowed them to deter me from staying focus, persevering through challenges, and growing. I look back on those moments in life, and I wish I had them back to correct what I've done to be in a better position today. Yet wishing isn't relevant along with hoping to change the past because the past has already happened.

This chapter has allowed me to take it a day at a time; not a week, a month, a year and so on. But it has given me ideas to prioritizing my day. And as of now I am managing priority #1. Which is read a chapter a day and blog to the effects of reading it. Below is a list of my priorities for this Morning till noon.

#1. Read a chapter a day and blog to the effects of reading it.
#2. Pack Clothes for a week away and get ready for today.
#3. Call 5 Resumes to fill positions.
#4. Go to the Bank, Pay Bills, Etc
#5. Go to the Gym prior a Day's Work at Office #2


Those are what I am sticking with for today. Each day varies, but I must outline a list of to do's that has a priority number on which they need to be completed so I can stay productive in my day.

Ask Yourself Three Questions
What is required of me?
What gives me the greatest return?
What gives me the greatest reward?


"Time Is Our Most Precious Commodity"

To know the value of one year...ask the student who failed the final exam.
To know the value of one month...ask the mother of a premature baby.
To know the value of one week...ask the editor of a weekly newsmagazine.
To know the value of one day...ask the wage earner who has six children.
To know the value of one hour...ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.
To know the value of one minute...ask the person who missed the plane.
To know the value of one second... ask the person who survived the accident.
To know the value of one millisecond... ask the Olympic silver medalist.

2 comments:

  1. I have to purchase this book! My mentor has a "leadership library" and she has been suggesting this book among others in the library so I'm thinking I should definitely look into it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes great book! I know have been behind a few chapters this week, but the content is great and reviving. I read a sum of books like this one, but this book has a different approach for personal growth.

    ReplyDelete